These onion rings are oil-free, vegan, and only require a few ingredients! By using an air fryer to make this recipe, no deep-frying or oil is necessary to create the classic crispy on the outside and soft in the inside onion ring texture!
Here are a few important tips I’ve gathered from all my trials of making onion rings! Believe it or not, I failed at making onion rings 3 times!! Make sure to read through these tips before making the recipe because onion rings are not as easy to make as they look!
- Purchasing an Air Fryer: I use the Instant pot Vortex 4 in 1 Air Fryer. I highly recommend this one, however you can make this recipe in any air fryer. If you don’t have an air fryer, I highly recommend purchasing one! They deliver crisp without the need of any oil and cut down cooking time!
- Prepping the Onion: I layered 2 rings together for each onion ring. By doing this, it gave my onion rings the perfect amount of thickness (and prevented the rings from breaking or ripping during the dipping process)!
- Dipping the Onion Rings: Make sure that you follow the order of dipping your onion rings into the flour, then the milk, then the breadcrumbs. I tried making this recipe while dipping the onion rings in the milk first, then the flour, then the breadcrumbs, however the flour and breadcrumbs did not stick to the onions at all!
This recipe is very flexible as there are many different substitutions you can use if you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand. Here is a list of all the possible ingredient substitutions you can use (which can be measured and used the exact same way as the original ingredients).
- Yellow Onion: white onion (I prefer yellow because it’s slightly sweeter and less bitter)
- Almond Milk: any other milk of choice (oat milk, cashew milk, soy milk, etc.)
- Panko Breadcrumbs: regular breadcrumbs, crushed crackers or chips, or cornmeal
- Chili Powder: cayenne powder