Rich cacao powder and sweet maple syrup come together to create this chocolaty treat. This recipe is also vegan, gluten-free, and refined-sugar free!
Only 6 ingredients, which are most likely already in your pantry, are required to make this recipe! Although these ingredients come together to make an indulgent treat, all of them are whole and nutrient packed. However, there are a few ingredients (with different textures, flavors, and nutritional values) that can be mistaken for the ones used in this recipe. Here are a few ingredients to take note of:
- Cacao Powder: make sure to use 100% unsweetened cacao powder, not cocoa powder (which may contain sugar, milk powder, or other ingredients)
- Peanut Butter: make sure to use runny and creamy natural peanut butter, not conventional peanut butter (which has a thicker texture and contains other ingredients in addition to peanuts, such as oil and sugar)
- Maple Syrup: make sure to get 100% pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup (which may just be maple extract and corn syrup)
If you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand, feel free to substitute them. I have listed a few substitutions that can be measured and used exactly the same as the original ingredients.
- Peanut Butter: any other creamy and runny nut or seed butter (almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.)
- Maple Syrup: any other liquid sweetener (agave or coconut nectar)